Australia’s coronavirus death toll has risen to 110 after a man and a woman in their 80s died from COVID-19 in Melbourne hospitals.
Both patients died on Tuesday, as Victoria recorded 270 new cases.
Twenty-six Victorians have now died from the virus.
It comes after a man in his 70s died from the virus, also in Melbourne, on Saturday.
There are 85 infected people who are being treated for the virus in Victorian hospitals, with 26 in intensive care. Twenty-one of those are on ventilators.
Daily Mail Australia has contacted the Department of Health and Human Services for comment.
Australia’s coronavirus death toll has risen to 110 after a man and a woman died from COVID-19 in Melbourne hospitals. The man died in Royal Melbourne Hospital on Monday night
Medics look concerned as hundreds of people turn up for testing at the Royal Melbourne Hospital
People wearing face masks are seen at the entrance of the Menarock Life aged care facility, where a cluster of some 28 new infections had been reported, in Essendon, Melbourne
Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton warned that around 200 people will be rushed to hospital with the virus in the next two weeks.
‘There’s often 10 per cent to 20 per cent of all coronavirus infections who require hospitalisation, so that’s a couple of hundred individuals at least,’ he said.
Victoria has recorded 270 new cases of coronavirus, the state’s third-worst figure since the pandemic began, up until 8pm on Monday.
Professor Michael Kidd, the country’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer, said he was concerned about the number of people in ICU in Victoria.
‘Clearly if we continue to see community transmission we will see more older people, more people who are at serious risk if they contract COVID-19 being hospitalised,’ Professor Kidd said.
‘It is important to note that some of the people in hospital in Victoria with COVID-19 are people who have been moved out of residential aged care facilities as a precautionary principle.’
Last week Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire were forced to go back into stage-three lockdown following a coronavirus outbreak.
The reimposed lockdown measures mean people can only leave their homes for four essential purposes – groceries, daily exercise, to give or receive care and to go to school or work.
More to come.
MELBOURNE’S SECOND LOCKDOWN
AREAS BACK UNDER STAGE THREE RESTRICTIONS:
* Metropolitan Melbourne covering 30 Local Government Areas – Banyule, Hume, Moreland, Bayside, Kingston, Mornington Peninsula, Boroondara, Knox, Nillumbik, Manningham, Port Phillip, Cardinia, Maribyrnong, Stonnington, Casey, Maroondah, Whitehorse, Darebin, Melbourne, Whittlesea, Frankston, Melton, Wyndham, Glen Eira, Monash, Yarra, Greater Dandenong, Moonee Valley, Yarra Ranges, Hobsons Bay.
* Mitchell Shire which includes the towns of Broadford, Kilmore, Seymour, Tallarook, Pyalong and Wallan.
WHAT WILL CLOSE AGAIN:
* Community sport
* Indoor sports and recreation including arenas and stadiums
* Swimming pools, saunas and bathhouses
* Food courts
* Indoor and outdoor cinemas
* Casino and gaming
* Brothels and strip clubs
* Beauty and personal care services
* Holiday accommodation and camping
* Play centres and playgrounds
* Galleries, museums and zoos
VISTORS AND PUBLIC GATHERINGS:
* No visitors allowed in homes
* Public gatherings and exercise can only be with immediate household or two people
ALLOWED OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES:
* Fishing and boating
* Tennis, golf and surfing
OPEN FOR BUSINESS:
* Retail subject to density
* Markets for food and drink only
* Cafes, restaurants, pubs, clubs and bars return to takeaway only
* Return to remote auctions
* Inspections by appointment only
* Visits allowed
SECOND PLACE OF RESIDENCE:
* No visits outside the restricted areas – subject to conditions
* Can be completed by those already on holiday
* No new holiday travel from 11.59pm on July 8
* Ten people, plus those conducting the funeral
* Five people (couple, witnesses and celebrant)
* Broadcast only.