Welcome to the world of Google’s Nest Hub Max. You’re about to enjoy one of the best smart home hubs on the market. The Nest Hub Max is a versatile unit that offers great video calls, smart home controls, another screen on which to watch YouTube TV, and more. Of course, it’s also compatible with your other Google ecosystem devices.
However, unless you want to deal with some predictable issues, it’s best to set it up right the first time. This comprehensive five-step guide will set you on the right track.
Step 1: Remove it from the box
Before anything else, you’ll obviously have to remove the Google Nest Hub Max from the packaging. There’s an included quick-start guide that shows step-by-step instructions on how to connect the power supply to the Nest Hub Max. Then again, you’ll want to think about where you want to place the smart display before connecting its power source. Once you connect the power cord to an outlet, the Nest Hub Max will automatically turn on.
Step 2: Download the Google Home app
If you’re an Android user, chances are your smartphone already has the Google Home app pre-installed. If not, you’ll want to head on over to the Google Play Store to download the free app. Alternatively, iOS users will need to download the free app through the App Store.
Besides that, you’ll also want to download the Nest app, since it offers advanced features you can access that aren’t available through the Google Home app — such as viewing the history log, setting up activity zones, recognizing familiar faces, and much more.
Step 3: Connect the Nest Hub Max to Wi-Fi via the app
In order to establish a connection, you will need to connect the Google Nest Hub Max to your home’s Wi-Fi network using the Google Home app. This is accomplished by following the steps below.
- Tap on the plus button at the top of the Home screen.
- Choose the Set Up Device option.
- Select the New Devices option on the next screen because you’re setting it up for the first time
- Choose a home for your Nest Hub Max. If you have multiple homes associated to your Google Account, you can specify what home you want it to be a part of. If not, the app will look for nearby Google Nest devices.
- Select the Nest Hub Max from the list in the bottom right corner of the Nest Hub Max screen and then click on Next.
- You’ll be asked what room the Nest Hub Max will be located in, so choose the correct one from the list.
- Choose your home’s Wi-Fi network from the list. Once selected, the Nest Hub Max will attempt to connect to your network — ending this part of the setup process.
Step 4: Enabling a few key features
After you connect your Nest Hub Max to your home’s Wi-Fi, it’ll suggest a few additional features to help you make the most out of your smart display. These features are included below:
- Camera sensing features: With the addition of a built-in camera, the Nest Hub Max can detect faces and gestures to help personalize and control the experience beyond just voice actions. Take, for example, Face Match, which will recognize faces and display relevant content. There are also Quick Gestures that will pause/play videos by using hand gestures.
- Duo video calling and messaging: In order to place and accept video calls on the Nest Hub Max, you’ll need to set up a Google Duo account.
- YouTube TV: With an ample sized screen, the Nest Hub Max is a good distraction for watching videos, like those on YouTube TV. Yes, it requires a subscription, but if you don’t, you can sign up for a free trial!
- Built-in Nest Cam: The Nest Hub Max doubles as a security system as well, so you’ll see a prompt to set up this optional feature in the Home app. You’ll be able to tap into the live stream at any time and even conduct two-way conversations.
Step 5: Start using your Nest Hub Max
If you’re overwhelmed by all of the steps we just ran through, don’t worry—getting your Nest Hub Max up and running is a simple process that won’t take more than ten minutes max. If you currently own a Google Home or Google Home mini, you’ll already be adapted to the voice command interaction style. If you want to know what the weather is like outside, just ask, “Hey Google, what’s the weather like?” If you need to check your calendar, say, “Hey Google, what’s on my calendar?” It’s really that simple. We promised you it wasn’t that bad.
Although there are plenty of incredible things you can do with the Google Nest Hub Max, we also advise spending some time learning its interface right off the bat. The way it’s organized is straightforward and user-friendly— touch the screen, and several cards will appear. It’ll take you no time to become acquainted with the Hoe View panel. To see this, just swipe down from the top of the screen. Here, you can control the lights, create routines, send out a broadcast message to other speakers in your home, and so much more.
If you’re interested in learning more about the Google Nest Hub Max features, take a look at our convenient tips and tricks guide.
This srticle was first published on Digital Trends