Categories
News

Channel Seven star Ryan Phelan says his ‘world imploded’ when accused of assaulting ex-fiancee

TV star Ryan Phelan (left) has shared how his 'world imploded' when he discovered his ex-fiancee  Chelsea Franklin (right) had accused him of domestic violence

TV star Ryan Phelan (left) has shared how his ‘world imploded’ when he discovered his ex-fiancee  Chelsea Franklin (right) had accused him of domestic violence

TV star Ryan Phelan has shared how his ‘world imploded’ when he discovered his ex-fiancee had accused him of domestic violence.

Phelan, 45, was accused of assaulting Chelsea Franklin during a row inside their $2million home at Frenchs Forest, on Sydney’s northern beaches in June.

Just days before the incident Phelan had been sacked as host of The Daily Edition by his longtime employer Channel Seven.

Phelan had denied any wrongdoing and on Friday morning NSW Police dropped all the charges against him.

Speaking to 2GB on Monday, Phelan opened up about the ordeal, describing the past three months as ‘the most horrible thing that could possibly happen’.

‘That initial moment (of being accused of assault) and all the moments since, it’s been a daily battle with mental health and finding the strength to deal with these things because so much of your world is just out of your control,’ he said.

‘You feel like your world has just imploded.

Ms Franklin (left) went to police claiming she was assaulted by her de facto partner Ryan Phelan (together on right) on June 20

Phelan 'emphatically' denied assaulting Ms Franklin

Phelan (pictured right) said that while he always knew he was going to be ‘on the right side of this’, it was still long and painful process to clear his name (pictured left and right: Ms Franklin)

‘Obviously when I learnt of what had been alleged I willingly participated and went to speak to police to give them the version of events. I probably did so thinking that it would be matter that would be cleared up there and then and it didn’t transpire that way.’

He said that while he always knew he was going to be ‘on the right side of this’, it was still a long and painful process. 

‘For me those three months felt like three years.’

He said he felt relief when charges were finally dropped.

When asked about what did happen on the night of the alleged incident, Phelan refused to divulge details. 

‘I just think you’re airing dirty laundry which doesn’t serve any utility of moving forward. I’m mindful of protecting myself, I’m mindful of protecting Chelsea,’ he said. 

‘In a situation like this there’s no winners. I know she’s hurting, I know I’m hurting. 

Phelan's solicitor Claudette Chua (left) appeared on his behalf in Manly Local Court on Tuesday where the prosecution indicated Ms Franklin and the officer in charge of the case would be the only two witnesses at the December 22 hearing

Phelan’s solicitor Claudette Chua (left) appeared on his behalf in Manly Local Court on Tuesday where the prosecution indicated Ms Franklin and the officer in charge of the case would be the only two witnesses at the December 22 hearing

‘You can be a multitude of different ways when things like this happen, you can be bitter, you can be angry, but at the end of the day I love and care about her.’

The case had initially been set down for a hearing on December 22 with police set to allege Phelan had grabbed Ms Franklin around the neck and chest. 

An AVO taken out by police to protect Ms Franklin was also dropped on Friday.  

Phelan’s solicitor Claudette Chua on Friday said ‘new evidence’ had come to light, leading prosecutors to drop the charges.

The alleged assault came just days after Phelan lost his job as the host of Channel 7 afternoon program The Daily Edition (Phelan is pictured with former co-host Sally Obermeder)

The alleged assault came just days after Phelan lost his job as the host of Channel 7 afternoon program The Daily Edition (Phelan is pictured with former co-host Sally Obermeder)

Outside court in June, Phelan's solicitor Ms Chua (pictured) claimed the allegations against her client were 'false' and described them as 'unhelpful to women everywhere'

Outside court in June, Phelan’s solicitor Ms Chua (pictured) claimed the allegations against her client were ‘false’ and described them as ‘unhelpful to women everywhere’

Ms Chua indicated that as part of the proceedings she and her legal team had been planning to use information about ‘previous police matters involving Ms Franklin’.

‘We are thrilled yet not surprised by the news today,’ she said. 

‘Mr Phelan has always emphatically denied the allegation made against him. It was a matter of time before the truth came to light. 

‘At the time of the withdrawal of charges, we had also subpoenaed information about previous Police matters involving Ms. Franklin. Until these proceedings, my client had been in the dark about those matters.’

TIMELINE: RYAN PHELAN CHARGES 

June 19: Seven announce The Daily Edition will be axed, Phelan sacked

June 20: Alleged incident occurs between 5.15pm and 5.25pm at Frenchs Forest home 

June 22: Phelan is charged by police 

June 29: Phelan lawyer issues statement saying he ’emphatically denies’ assaulting Ms Franklin 

June 30: Phelan pleads not guilty to the charges

August 11: Next court date 

September 25: Police drop charges against Phelan  

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.