Categories
News

Medical expert who rushed to shutdown South Australia over COVID-19 outbreak has ‘no regrets’

The medical expert who raced to lock South Australia down over the state’s COVID-19 outbreak has said she has no regrets.

Chief public health officer Professor Nicola Spurrier advised premier Steven Marshall to throw the state into one of the world’s toughest lockdowns last Wednesday, over following fears that a super strain of the virus had been unleashed in Adelaide.

While the lockdown was downgraded on the weekend after contact tracers realised an infected worker had not come into contact with as many people as claimed, Ms Spurrier maintained she made the right call.

‘I have no regrets on my advice and decision-making last week. I’ve no doubt it was the right thing to do,’ she said. 

Chief public health officer Professor Nicola Spurrier (pictured) advised premier Steven Marshall to throw the state into one of the world's toughest lockdowns last Wednesday

Chief public health officer Professor Nicola Spurrier (pictured) advised premier Steven Marshall to throw the state into one of the world’s toughest lockdowns last Wednesday

Mr Marshall backed the health officer on Sunday and said the state narrowly avoided catastrophe.

‘The consequences of not acting quickly and following that health advice would have been absolutely catastrophic on all businesses, families and individuals in our state in a few moments time.’ 

More to come

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.