Categories
News

Seven die after drinking coronavirus hand sanitiser when alcohol ran out at party in Russia 

Seven people have died after drinking coronavirus hand sanitiser in Russia.

Two more remain in a coma in an intensive care ward, say reports.

A group of nine people drank the antiseptic hand wash when the alcohol ran out at a party on Thursday in Tomtor village in the Tattinsky district of the country’s largest region, Yakutia.

Seven people have died after drinking coronavirus hand sanitiser in Russia. Pictured: the location of the party in Tomtor Village in the region of Yakutia

Seven people have died after drinking coronavirus hand sanitiser in Russia. Pictured: the location of the party in Tomtor Village in the region of Yakutia

Two more remain in a coma in an intensive care ward, say reports. Pictured: Inside the house where the party took place

Two more remain in a coma in an intensive care ward, say reports. Pictured: Inside the house where the party took place

A group of nine people drank the antiseptic hand wash when the alcohol ran out at a party on Thursday in Tomtor village in the Tattinsky district of the country's largest region, Yakutia. Pictured: Inside the house where the party took place

A group of nine people drank the antiseptic hand wash when the alcohol ran out at a party on Thursday in Tomtor village in the Tattinsky district of the country’s largest region, Yakutia. Pictured: Inside the house where the party took place

The first three victims were a 41-year-old woman and two men aged 27 and 59. Six others were flown by a medical evacuation aircraft to regional capital Yakutsk.

On Friday three more men died, aged 28, 32 and 69. One more death was reported today.

Federal public health watchdog, Rospotrebnadzor reported: ‘Nine cases of poisoning with sanitiser have been registered, including seven that were fatal .’

Six others were flown by a medical evacuation aircraft to regional capital Yakutsk.

Six others were flown by a medical evacuation aircraft to regional capital Yakutsk.

Pictured: The type of hand sanitiser that partygoers drank in Russia when the alcohol supply ran out

Pictured: The type of hand sanitiser that partygoers drank in Russia when the alcohol supply ran out

The regional state prosecutor said: ‘The poisoning took place as a result of drinking sanitiser.’

Partygoers drank the sanitiser – 69 per cent methanol – which had been sold as a hand cleanser during the pandemic.

Health officials warned locals not to drink the Russian-made antiseptic.

A criminal case has been opened.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.